Bales apologizes for killing 16 Afghan civilians, wounding others

Bales apologizes for killing 16 Afghan civilians, wounding others, The U.S. Army soldier who killed 16 Afghan civilians and wounded many others said Thursday his shooting spree was "an act of cowardice."

Staff Sgt. Robert Balls, 40, apologized for his actions during his sentencing hearing in Washington state, the Los Angeles Times reported.

""If I could bring their families back, I would," he said. "I can't comprehend their loss. I think about it every time I look at my kids."

Bales has pleaded guilty in the 2012 mass killings in return for the death penalty being taken off the table. The six-member military panel hearing the sentencing phase of his case will determine whether he will ever have a chance for parole.

The Times said attorneys for both sides are scheduled to deliver closing arguments Friday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment