Elmore Leonard dies

Elmore Leonard dies,  Family, friends and fans bid farewell Saturday to Michigan-based crime novelist Elmore Leonard, who died this week at age 87 after suffering a stroke.

About 325 people gathered at Holy Name Catholic Church in Birmingham as the Rev. Joe Grimaldi eulogized the renowned writer known to many as "Dutch."

"Elmore truly was gifted with creativity, skill and talent," Grimaldi told the audience during his homily. "The twinkle in his eye showed he also enjoyed having fun."

That was evident during the ceremony Saturday, which featured tears but also laughter, as the priest and three sons told stories about Leonard gagging his way through airport security or serving fried Spam sandwiches to the kids for breakfast without their mother's approval.

Leonard's death earlier in the week prompted a flurry of national attention about Leonard the writer, but Saturday's ceremony was more about Leonard the man.

When I hug my brothers and sisters, I'll be hugging my father," son Christopher Leonard said during the ceremony. "When I see them, I'll see my dad."

Also attending were longtime friend Mike Lupica, a sportswriter and novelist, and Timothy Olyphant, an actor in the TV series "Justified," which is based on Leonard's works.

0 comments:

Post a Comment