Former winner of The Voice praises new coach Rita Ora

Former winner of The Voice praises new coach Rita Ora, Jermain Jackman, last year's winner of The Voice UK, says new coach Rita Ora is doing "amazingly well" and bringing youth and energy to the show.

The 19-year-old from Hackney told Radio 1Xtra he thinks the singer has helped create a great dynamic as "she brings something the other three coaches don't have."

Jermain won the BBC One singing contest in 2014.

He says winning the competition has opened many doors.

"I always say it hasn't changed my life, it's changed the life around me.

"I'm the same Jermain Jackman, but now so many more doors have opened, so many more opportunities."

Rita Ora replaced Kylie Minogue on the judging panel for series four. She sits alongside existing coaches will.i.am, Sir Tom Jones and Ricky Wilson.

Jermain says Rita has already told him she would have been a big fan of his, had she been involved with the last series.
"She said 'I would have turned around for you, would you have picked me?' I said 'No I'd still have picked Will.'"

Jermain decided to audition for The Voice after bumping into Will.i.am at Radio 1's Hackney Weekend in 2012.
Jermain was there as a backing vocalist for Leona Lewis.

The following year he applied to audition and Will.i.am was the only coach to turn around for him, going on to become his mentor.

Jermain Jackman's debut album is out on March 23.

He says he's written or co-written nearly every song and has enjoyed working with top producers and songwriters to find out exactly who he is as an artist.

"It was intense. You have to invest yourself emotionally in these songs.

"It is important to write your sown songs as an artist in order to represent yourself properly and for you to connect with the songs and for the listeners to connect with the songs aswell."

Jermain was once quoted as saying he wanted to be the country's first singing Prime Minister.
He says that love of politics hasn't gone away.

"Growing up in East London I saw struggles, I saw crime. I wanted to do something about it.

"I'm friends with Ed Miliband and we do campaigning together. I enjoy mixing music with politics."

0 comments:

Post a Comment